Tuesday, February 21, 2006

10 year anniversary

This month marks the 10-year anniversary of an event that turned out to be more significant then I thought it would be. Sometime during February of 1996 my dad got a new computer and got this new thing called the 'internet'. I was a senior in high school at the time and I thought it was pretty cool but nothing that special and didn't see what all the fuss was about with e-mail and the World Wide Web. E-mail was a cool idea I thought, but why would I use that when I could use the phone. Little did I know that when I became a freshman at Penn State all the sudden I would use e-mail a lot for school and e-mail high school friends and family.
Well, 10 years later I use the Internet a lot to say the least. First off I have this blog. Then I have my regular webpage. I have a webpage just for my pictures. I look at friend’s webpages online. I use the Internet for e-mail. I probably get at least 10 e-mails a day (some are junk, some are semi-junk like reminders to pay bill, and others are legit e-mails from friends & family) I probably get over 20 e-mails a day at work. I use the web for research at work. I use instant messaging services like AOL IM. I pay my bills online, I check my bank account, retirement account, brokerage account online. I buy airline tickets online. I'm a member of internet communities like myspace and friendster. I've done job searches online. I read newspaper articles online. I check sports scores online. I’ve downloaded songs and videos online. Occasionally I even look at things online that I probably can't discuss in this blog ;-). Basically in 10 years I have gone from never using the Internet to using it a lot in my daily life. Hard to believe that the first 18 years of my live I spent without using the Internet.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I honestly can't believe you are still alive Tom. How you made it to 28, the world will never know.

4:44 AM PST  
Blogger Tim said...

I still don't know how you survived this long Tom

4:30 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home