Saturday, January 21, 2006

Canada politics

Canada is our neighbor to the north and the closest foreign country to where I live. (probably only a 6-8 drive or 1-2 flight to Canada). I am interested in world politics and feel I have a lot of (sometime useless) knowledge about leaders and recent history of other countires. However, it dawned on me that I know almost nothing about Canada and I have no idea who their prime minister is. While I know of the Fidel Castros, Hugo Chavezes, and Vicente Foxes of Latin America, the Tony Blairs, Jaques Chiracs and Vladmir Putins of Europe and the Hamid Karzai, Hosni Mubarak, Ariel Sharon, and many others of the Middle East, I don't have the foggiest idea who the Prime Minister of Canada is. Granted, a lot of this is because the news media doesn't really cover Canada, (Canada just isn't in the news quite like the middle east) so I'm sure many people don't know either, but I just feel weird that I have no idea who the leader is of the closest neigboring country. I think for a lot of people it may be easier to name every Russian/Soviet leader of the past century or every Israeli Prime Minister then just one leader in Canada. Let's see the Soviet Union had Lenin, Stalin, Krushchev, Brezhnev, Gorbachev, Yeltin & Putin, Israel has had Rabin, Peres, Netenyahu, Barak, and Sharon while Canada had ???. Come on Canada! Make some news so I know who your prime minister is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home