Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Christmas

This time of year I always hear people argue about using the terms 'Merry Christmas' and 'Happy Holidays'. It's not often that I'm in agreement with the Christian right, but when it comes to using the term Merry Christmas I back them 100%. In this country a vast majority of the population celebrates Christmas. There is no reason why saying 'Merry Christmas' should be replaced with generic terms like 'happy holidays' or 'seasons greetings'. Saying Merry Christmas should not offend anybody. It's like moving to Israel and telling people they can't say happy Hanukah instead they need to say happy holidays, or moving to Egypt and telling people they can't say happy Ramidan but need to say happy holidays. If I was in either of those countries I would be a minority(as a Christian who celebrates Christmas) and would respect the rights of the majority to greet each other in their respective holidays greetings. If somebody wished me a Happy Ramidan while I was in Egypt I would take it as a nice gesture even though I'm not a Muslim and would not be offended by it at all. I understand the need for some political correctness in this world, but not being able to say Merry Christmas is taking it too far. It's not protecting a minority, it's trying to remove a beloved word like Christmas for the majority.

On the flipside of this, some people may take their passion for the word Chrismas too far and will get offended if you say happy holidays or season greetings because you don't use the word Christmas in the greeting. I feel that they are also in the wrong because those greeting are positive and not something that should offend anybody. Bottom line is if somebody says Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Season Greeting, Happy Ramidan, Happy Bastile day, Happy whatever it's a positive greeting and it should be not something to be offended by. It's not like people are saying 'You suck, go die' or 'You're a muslim or jew, you can't work here' Now those words would be something to be offended by, but not 'Merry Christmas'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home