Saturday, December 10, 2005

college hoops in Philly

One of my biggest dissapointments since moving into the Philly area over 5 years ago is that I haven't seen many college Basketball games here. (I've only seen one and that was a Temple game in 2003) I used to love watching college basketball growing up and went to lots of Penn State games when I was at school. Philly is arguably one of the best cities for college basketball. You have 6 division I schools in the area: Villanova, Temple, St. Joe's, Drexel, Upenn and LaSalle. Temple has a legendary coach in John Chaney and in the past been a power house team who usually makes the NCAA tournament (Although I know they've had a dry spell the last few years). Two Years ago St. Joe's had an undefeated regular season and ended up in the elite 8 during the NCAA tournament. Last year Villanova came very close to beating the eventual champion North Carolina in the NCAA tournament. This year Villanova is ranked #4 in the country and could have another great season. Sure I like the Sixers and I usually go to at least one game a year, but I think college basketball is much more exciting to watch in person. The arenas are smaller so you have a much more intimate setting. Plus I think they players play harder partially because they don't get paid and also because they play a lot less games so each game means a lot more than in the NBA. (You lose 20 games in the NBA you will probably have the best record in the league, you lose 20 in college and it's going to be a losing season) So one of my goals over the winter is to go to a college basketball game in the Philly area.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

The goals that you set for yourself Tom are extraordinary.

7:08 PM PST  
Blogger tomwiesak said...

I reach for the stars.

3:35 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home